Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Budget Nursery Design



Decorating a nursery is challenging period, but decorating a nursery on a small budget is extremely difficult.  After doing Cole's nursery for less than $200, I can say I speak from experience. ;)

Here are a few tips for keeping your nursery budget in check:

1.  Reuse and repurpose as many items as you can.  "Shop" your house!
2.  Scour thrift stores, consignment shops, craigslist, etc.
3.  If you see something you love that is just too expensive, do a DIY version instead. :)
4.  Etsy.com can be your best friend.
5.  Create a budget and stick to it!
6.  Finally, don't be fooled into thinking that you need to spend $1,000 on a crib, $500 on bedding, $600 for a rocker, and so on.  If you're not careful, you could easily buy a car for what you spent on your nursery! :)

For example, this crib is quite lovely:



But not for that price!  No thanks! :)

One of my favorite tips for creating designer spaces on a dime is finding high-end rooms and pieces to use as inspiration.  Once I find something that I love, I make it my goal to achieve the same look within my budget. 

When looking at cribs for Blake, I fell in love with the crib on the right from Restoration Hardware.  But it was out of our price range at $1049 plus a hefty freight charge.  I eventually found this look-a-like by Carters at Babies 'R' Us for $399.  Much better! :)



And if you're really looking for a deal, Graco has this crib for $149:



Not too shabby! :)

Just remember, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to create beautiful spaces!  Never thought I'd be saying that!  Boy, has five years of marriage to my wonderful hubby changed me! ;)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment