It's not always easy to decorate on a small budget, but it is possible! Our budget for the entire guest bedroom/nursery makeover was $500, including furniture. To accomplish this, I used six different tactics.
1. Start out by browsing designer rooms to get inspiration and ideas. Familiarizing yourself with high-end looks will enable you to spot budget look-a-likes.
2. Reuse as many items as possible from the previous room and the rest of the house.
3. Frequently scour thrift stores and consignment shops.
4. Shop yard sales, Craigslist, Ebay, etc.
5. Check out home decor discount stores such as T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, etc.
6. Don't be afraid to use spray paint! ;)
Here's a breakdown of the budget for the guest bedroom side. We already had the headboard, which was a DIY project from a few years ago, I just recovered it. The chandelier and navy blanket were also items we already had. The side tables were handed down from my mom and painted pink. :)
Mirror - Martha Stewart Home for Home Depot
Curtains - Target, 95" for $12.99 a panel
Fabric for headboard - Waverly curtain panel from Lowe's
Pink pillows - Ross
Trellis pillows - Target
Coverlet - T.J. Maxx
Lampshade - Lowe's
Lamp base - Goodwill (spray painted white)
And here's a before and after picture that shows the complete transformation:
All for under $200! With a little creative thinking, a little DIY craftiness, and a lot of budget brainstorming, it is possible to design on a dime! Or in our case, a penny! ;)